Sunday 31 October 2010

Donations to needy Charities on your behalf

The “parking meter” in our refreshment room, which takes your tea and coffee donations, is used to make donations to “Cyprus Donkeys” and “No Tears” dog and cat refuge.
At the December meeting of the Trustees of Saint Michael’s we allocate donations to other charities, some local, some national and some overseas in Orthodox countries.
In today’s climate of “belt-tightening” and recession, we would do well to remember that all good things come from God. When we give away to others God blesses us richly
and supplies our needs.
One of the charities we support is SPUC (Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child) which lobbies MPs and seeks to help mothers to see that abortion is wrong and is not the answer. The following passage was sent to me earlier this year:

The wise gynaecologist

A worried woman went to her gynaecologist and said: ‘Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even one year old and I’m pregnant again. I don’t want kids so close together.’

So the doctor said: ‘Ok, and what do you want me to do?’
She said: ‘I want you to end my pregnancy, and I’m counting on your help with this.’
The doctor thought for a little, and after some silence, he said to the woman: ‘I think I have a better solution for your problem. It’s less dangerous for you, too.’
She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.
Then he continued: ‘You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let’s kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest for some time before the other one is born. If we’re going to kill one of them, it doesn’t matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.
The woman was horrified and said: ‘No doctor! How terrible! It’s a crime to kill a child!
‘I agree’, the doctor replied. ‘But you seemed to be ok with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.’
The doctor smiled, realizing that he had made his point. He convinced the mother that there is no difference in killing a child that’s already been born and one that’s still in the womb. The crime is the same!

Save precious lives